A few things that came to mind on this wonderful sporting day –
– The appetizer was Manchester United coming back from 2-0 down to win 4-2. Sometimes, I wonder why they bother with the first half.. because they always play in the second.
It struck me that winning teams have steel.. and it makes winning inevitable.
– I felt the same every time India was in a tough spot against Sri Lanka in the final. I was certain we would win. This world cup win was coming. And it happened..
– This world cup win was coming. Saurav Ganguly and John Wright instilled a fighting spirit in the Indian team in the early part of the decade and we came close to winning in 2003. Of course, we had our low thanks to Greg Chappell.. but ever since Dhoni and Kirsten got together, this was coming..
I mention Ganguly and Wright because stars like Yuvraj Singh and Zaheer Khan (a.k.a Zak) came through then.
– And M S Dhoni – what a leader. Cool, calm, confident.. totally deserving of the victory. And a legend already..
– And finally, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.. fitting ending to this legend’s last world cup.
A great sporting day overall!