Every time I ask myself to do something, I find myself making an important decision – do I treat myself as a goofball or friend?
If I choose goofball, it means –
– Create really rigid rules because there is no trust when dealing with goofballs
– Expect screw ups (that’s what goofballs do)
– Kick myself when the expected screw ups happen
If I choose friend, it means –
– Create simple guidelines and check ins to make sure all is well
– Expect to get it right in the long term with a few mis-steps along the way
– Be kind when the mis-steps happen
The funny thing is – when I choose the friend approach, there’s a good chance I’ll actually become worthy of the trust.
But, in nearly every case, once a goofball, always a goofball.